Thursday, October 12, 2017

Dark Musicals 1: Phantom Review...


The “Phantom” was a musical phenomenon that Rebecca had always found enchanting. She had no idea that her life was about to mirror the play that was her obsession. When her high school drama club chooses “Phantom” as their annual production, Rebecca finds herself in the middle of an unlikely love triangle and the target of a sadistic stalker who uses the lines from the play as their calling card.

Rebecca lands the lead role of Christine, the opera diva, and like her character, she is torn between her two co-stars—Tom the surfer and basketball star who plays the lovable hero, and Justyn, the strangely appealing Goth who is more than realistic in the role of the tortured artist.

Almost immediately after casting, strange things start to happen both on and off the stage. Curtains fall. Mirrors are shattered. People are hurt in true phantom style. They all seem like accidents until Rebecca receives notes and phone calls that hint at something more sinister. Is Justyn bringing to life the twisted character of the phantom? Or in real life are the roles of the hero and the villain reversed? Rebecca doesn’t know who to trust, but she knows she’s running out of time as she gets closer and closer to opening night. Only when the mask is stripped away, will the twenty first century phantom finally be revealed.


~~~~****~~~~****~~~~

REVIEW

Ah, Phantom, one of my all time favorite musicals.  It’s right behind Sweeny Todd.
 
This is an interesting books where while performing/rehearsing for the school musical, Phantom of the Opera, the cast and crew are marred with disasters as if the play were real.  Not only that but the mc is faced with a tough choice of dating the boy she has had a crush on for a while or the new boy who everybody deams a freak.  Who is their real life Phantom?  Who does she choose?  What else could go wrong?
 
I absolutely loved this plot and thought it was not only interesting but extremely well written.  I actually got so into it that I had to find the songs on Amazon to listen to in the car and watch the movie when I got home.  I think I rewatched and listened to the cd 20 times the week I read this book.  I couldn’t get it out of my mind.  Now seeing as it was a play that was coming to life things did get a bit confusing because there were a bunch of characters and who they played that you had to keep track of.  But all in all the flow and pace were great.  The plot was phenomenal!  The characters were great.  The writing style was fun and unique.
 
I have actually been putting off reading the next book because I don’t want to get stuck in a never-ending loop of Sweeney Todd like I did Phantom but it will be so worth it and I already have that soundtrack lol.  It’s one of my favorites actually.  Anyways, I do look forward to continuing on with this series and will be as soon as I can!  Thank you for a great book and if you love musicals/operas then you should check out this series!
 
4.5 dramatic stars

No comments:

Post a Comment