Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Embrassing the Flames...


Born in Flames (Book 1):


Red mirrored scales race up my arms as the haze of pain blurs my vision.  My bones crack, breaking to realign.  I scream.  It is then that the realization of my unavoidable fate sinks in; I am of a dying race.  I am dragon.

Aurora Megalos, orphaned and teetering on the edge of adulthood, thought finding her past would curb the sting of being an outcast.  Having no memories of the time before she awoke on her foster mother's doorstep, she yearns for the emptiness inside her to be filled.  With her fellow orphaned best friend, Fenn, by her side, she has nothing to lose and everything to gain.  But something powerful stirred within her that she couldn't explain.  Something wanted out.

In the dark of night, a crazed Seer, dubbed Mr. Creepy, erases everything she's ever known with an impending prophecy.  She now faces two paths.  Return to her true home to protect a dying race against a growing evil, or stay hidden in the safety of our realm with a shot at a true love.  With a vengeful Arch Enemy stopping at nothing to see her dead, she's running out of time; a decision must be made.  What would you choose?


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Embracing the Flames (Book 2)

The stone of Immortality has always been kept under the watch of the Draconta.  That is, until the betrayal of a Fate.  Now everything is about to change.

Aurora Megalos accepted her destiny without blinking - even if it meant succumbing to her dragon side.  Deemed the Progeny, she left the ordinary life she knew and has done everything in her power to learn the ways of her new realm and what it means to be part dragon.  But when her mentor, Astral, suddenly disappears, she is forced to take the reins.  

With war on the brink, she sets out on an epic journey to not only find her mentor, but to stop her Arch Enemy, Zordon, from obraining the Stone of Immortality.  But what she discovers about him along the way is far worse than she could've ever imagined.  She will be tested and pushed to the limit.  Lives will be lost, love will be questioned, and a battle will begin.

Will be available for purchase on Amazon, Barnes and Noble, KOBO, and 48fourteen.com as of 7/17/2013.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

From Chapter 3:

As I walked Mr. Creepy to the door and went to lock it behind him, his arm shot out and grabbed onto my wrist in a sumo death grip.  The pupils to his eyes went white, churning the building fear in my stomach.  His grip tightened.  And then he spoke:  "Of dragon born, a conqueror prevails.  The chosen one fated to protect the dying race.  Third of three deemed protector to the progeny.  The other marked for revenge.  The book of life pages turn yet unwritten.  The canvas to your mortal soul.  The connection to your immortal enemy.  A death will come to He that breaks the barrier."

A flash of white so bright it nearly blinded me shone through his eyes while he spoke, and then he blinked them back to normal.  That sound of his, the sound of a thousand voices speaking through one, resounded in my head.

"Let GO of me!"  I yelled.  Fenn was already behind me, circling his arm around my waist and yanking the guys grip off of me.  He shoved the guy back, moving to close the door, but I stopped him, my heart beating wildly against my chest.

"Don't," I cried out, shoving Fenn out of the way as I rushed to face Mr. Creepy again.  A better time to get answers couldn't have slapped me in the face any harder.

"Who are you?"  I asked, breath rushing out of me while holding the door open.  Mr. Creepy stood still, eyes unmoving.

"Rory, get back, he's dangerous.  Didn't you see what just happened?  Don't do this,"  Fenn pleaded.  I jerked my head around to face him, scrunching my eyes in annoyance, and said, "Just give me a minute."

He huffed and then stepped back, clearly angry with me.

I turned to Mr. Creepy.  "You can't just waltz in here, stalk me all day, then go all prophet on me and not explain who you are and why you are doing this to me."  I grabbed his pasty arm and pulled him back into the restaurant.  Everyone had left so I figured this was the best place to confront him.  "So again I ask, who are you?"

I crossed my arms and waited, impatiently tapping my foot as the silent seconds seemed to drag on forever.

His chest puffed up.  "I am the answer to your questions."  He stuck his chin out.  "And here you stand so defiant and demanding answers while you should be questioning who you are."

I stepped back towards Fenn, seeking that protected feeling he always gave off, as the reality of what Mr. Creepy had said hit home.

"Why do you think I stopped you?"  My eyes fell to the floor.  "Obviously because I do question who I am," I rushed out.  "Instead of mocking me, why don't you try explaining?  The pendant...your eyes...my eyes...my strange abilities with fire.  Why is all of this happening?"  I asked boldly.

"Because you are the progeny, the chosen one," he answered, pausing to let it sink in.

I took a step back.

"The progeny?  To what?  What am I chosen for?"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
About Candace:

Candace Knoebel is the award-winning author of Born in Flames - a young adult fantasy trilogy.  Published by 48fourteen in 2012, Born in Flames went on to win Turning the Pages Book of the Year award in February of 2013.

Candace Knoebel dreamed of being a dancer ever since she could remember.  With a love of all things art, she saw herself moving to New York and pursuing her passion as an artist.  But all that changed on October 10, 2002 when she met the love of her life.  Her dreams diverged and after marrying her high school sweetheart and having two beautiful children, she realized she missed her creative side.  Through lunch breaks and late nights after putting her kids to bed, she built a world where she could escape the ever-pressing days of an eight to five Purgatory.  Since then, she crawled out of Purgatory and has devoted her time to writing and sometimes heelying.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

What Inspired the Trilogy

Hello readers!
Our topic for today is one of my favorites...inspiration. As most know, inspiration is what fuels an artist to create. An idea has to spark from somewhere be it something you saw while jogging, something someone said, or a dream that wakes you in the middle of the night.
We need it in order to envision the worlds we think up and the characters we breathe life into. For me, I’ve always loved anything mythical and magical. When I first thought up the idea for the Born in Flames Trilogy, it came from a need to fill a void. Boredom.
I already had a strong love for dragons and magic, so I tried to think of an innovative way to incorporate those things into a new age story. Something young adult and urban. I actually thought of it while picking up my son’s toys after he went to bed. It just struck me out of nowhere and I blindly walked over to the computer and started writing.
In my mind, while plotting, the only way of modernizing a dragon was giving it the option of shape shifting and putting it in the middle of our modern day world as a young adult.
I can’t really explain how Aurora, the protagonist, came to be. She just did. Maybe she came from my need to be something more. Or the longing to jump inside the many books I’ve read and loved while growing up. I think that’s what ultimately sat me down and pushed my fingers to type.
She was a real girl in my mind, one with flaws and all. Someone like me who has real issues and real hopes. She doesn’t just give in to the first guy she sees and she doesn’t jump into any situation without a care in the world.
As I talked out my idea with my best friend, the plot grew larger and more complex, thusly turning it from one book into three. I had the broad idea of where it would start and where it would all end. One idea just sparked into another like a wildfire.
I’m so grateful for these characters. Without them, I would never have known where my true passion was. I wouldn’t have even tried. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
About the Character:

Fenn Aiden Lovick – Born July 24, 1991
Sign – Leo: Fire element. 

What does the character look like? He is tall, slender, and toned. Messy multi-highlighted hair. Crystal blue eye and plump mouth. Tan skin. Chiseled. Easy smile.
How do they wear their hair? Un-styled and messy.
Are they neat or sloppy? Sloppy, but neat when Aurora nags.
What colors does your character tend to wear? Black, brown, or grey.
Does he have any scars or tattoos? If so how did he get them? He doesn’t have any scars because of his ability to heal rapidly. In the second book he earns his family crest which is the sign of The Fates. (Yes, Jessa…there is a shocking surprise coming your way.) I infinity sign, a five pointed star, and a crescent moon are in a band that wraps around his arm.
Character Titles or Nicknames? How did you get them? Protector. Because he is Aurora’s protector.
Does the character have any mental problems? Phobias? If so what are they? Fear of losing Aurora. A control issue. Overwhelmed with the need to protect Aurora due to the bond they share from being soulmates.
Why might someone dislike your character? He can be over-bearing when trying to protect her. Some say he is weak-minded for wanting her so much.
What is their greatest strength? His rapid healing and strength.
What is their greatest flaw? Thinking he knows best.
Whom does your character most admire? He admires Gabe the most. Gabe became a father figure to him after he returned home. He looks to him to show him what a man should be. Honest and selfless.
Whom does your character most love? Aurora…duh.
Name three personality traits your character most admires in others. Courage, kindness, family values.
Name three traits your character most dislikes. Disloyalty, cruelty, and selfishness.
Where was your character born & raised? He was born in the Obsidian Chasm, raised by Eve and the Draconta, sent to Kappa Hawaii and raised by Mily as a foster child.
Who were the character’s parents? Gwenevere (a/k/a Eve) and Zordon.
Did they raise the character? If not why? If not them who? Eve raised him up until he was sent over to protect Aurora.
What kind of relationships does the character currently have? Mostly healthy relationships.
Does she have any close friends? Alexis, Aurora, and Gabe.
Bitter enemies? If so who? What are they like? Zordon. He is Aurora’s arch enemy and will stop at nothing to end her reign as the Progeny.
Is there any race, creed, alignment, religion or the like against which your character is strongly prejudiced? Why? He is against The Fates for letting things spiral out of control.
Does the character ever want to have a family of his/her own someday? Yes.
If so with who or what type of person? Only Aurora.
Does your character want children? Yes.
What are the character’s dreams? Ambitions? Goals? To defeat Zordon so Aurora can finally be at peace. He wants to be a high ranking Mage. He wants to be a father and a husband.
What would your character like to be remembered for after their death? Protecting his family at all costs.

No comments:

Post a Comment