Sunday, October 6, 2013

Burn Out Review...


Title- Burn Out
By- Ruthi Kight
Genre- New Adult

Publication Date- August 10th, 2013 

Pyromaniac. Murderer. Burn out.

Ten years ago Delia’s life went up in smoke. Literally.

After a decade of hiding, she is forced back into the world.

With only her wits to guide her, she must now figure out how to live in a town that knows her only as a murderer.

Her family is gone. The people all fear her. She has nothing holding her in Sunny Shores...until she meets Liam.

He’s heard the stories. He knows he should stay away from her, but he’s drawn to her like a moth to a flame.

Life seems to be looking up for them...until her past comes back like a bitch slap to the face.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My hand was moving towards the door when it opened, throwing me off balance for a minute. I caught myself before I fell flat on my face, and when I looked up, there he was, smiling down at me.
“Back so soon?” he asked as he moved aside, waving me in. He shut the door behind me, locking it once more. The snick of the lock set my nerves on edge, but I pushed it down. He wasn't locking it to keep me in. I had to keep reminding myself of that. “What can I help you with?”
I straightened my posture and pulled my shoulders back, bracing myself for the inevitable denial that would surely come. “I'll cut right to it. I need a job and you just fired Captain Creepy today, so I figured you might be in need of help.”
“Captain Creepy? That's a new one. I like it. Definitely fits him,” he replied. I followed him to the display counter where the cash register sat. “Know how to run one of these?” He pointed at the machine and I shook my head.
“But I'm a fast learner. It can't be that hard,” I said.
“Know anything about surfing?”
“Nope.”
“Do you have any qualifications that would make me want to hire you?” He was on the verge of laughing. I could see it on his face as he questioned me.
“Look, I'm desperate. I'm pretty fucking positive that no one else in this town would even consider giving me a job. I just thought that since you weren't a total douche canoe, that you would be willing. If you're not, I understand.”
“You have a very...colorful vocabulary,” he replied. “Look, I do need help, but I don't have the time to train you. You would have to learn everything on your own. Trial and error and all that shit.”
I nodded enthusiastically. “I can do it. I promise.”
“Fine. Be back here tomorrow at seven sharp.”
He couldn't be serious. Seven in the morning? “Wow...you open...early,” I stuttered.
“By that time, most surfers are already slowing down for the day. So technically, I'm still late getting the place open. But I have other shit to deal with in the mornings, so I can't open when they start their day. Do you want the job, or not?”
With a nod, I said “Of course. I'll bring coffee.”
“Good idea,” he said with a smile. “Now, if you don't mind, I have to get out of here. Got to close up shop and get home.”
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

1) My Songs Know What You Did in the Dark- Fall Out Boy
2) Fire Starter- Demi Lovato
3) The Lazy Song- Bruno Mars
4) Grenade- Bruno Mars
5) Ooh La La- Britney Spears
6) Scream & Shout- Will.I.am & Britney Spears
7) Blow Me (One Last Kiss)- P!nk
8) One More Night- Maroon 5
9) Dark Side- Kelly Clarkson
10) Distance- Christina Perri
11) Feel This Moment- Pitbull and Christina Aguilera
12) Beautiful Goodbye- Maroon 5
13) Crazy Train- Ozzy Osbourne
14) Jar of Hearts- Christina Perri

Link to Spotify Playlist:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

1) Fire Starter- Demi Lovato
2) Blurred Lines- Robin Thicke
3) I Love It- Icona Pop
4)  Die Young- Ke$ha
5) Troublemaker- Olly Murs
6) Slut Like You- P!nk
7) Here Comes the Weekend- P!nk
8) Believe- Orianthi
9) Crazy Kids- Ke$ha
10) What the Hell- Avril Lavigne
11) Clarity- Glee Cast
12) Radioactive- Imagine Dragons
13) Cups- Pitch Perfect
14) And pretty much any song that Glee has done, lol. I’m a total Gleek

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Delia:
20 years old
Born in Sunny Shores, SC
Has been locked away in Sunny Shores Psychiatric Hospital for 10 years.
Extremely saucy- her sharp tongue and quick wit have gotten her into trouble more times than she can count.
Likes: the ocean, sleeping late, chocolate milkshakes, and dipping her fries in a Wendy’s Frosty.
Dislikes: Creepy old dudes, pop music, salads (they’re the devil), and people who lie.
Favorite quote: “I wonder why it is, that young men are always cautioned against bad girls. Anyone can handle a bad girl. It's the good girls men should be warned against.” - David Niven
Favorite Song: P!nk’s U + Ur Hand

Liam:
24 years old
Born in Georgia, currently resides in Sunny Shores, SC
Has a deep love for Homer’s The Odyssey and The Iliad. Not Homer Simpson.
Recently found himself in a sticky situation involving murder, lies, and plenty of betrayal.
Likes: Reading, walking the beach at night, anything with Al Pacino, a good pizza filled with toppings, newfound love for The Simpsons, and his *special* coffee cup.
Dislikes: Being cooped up in the house, fighting, McDonald’s double cheeseburgers, and doing laundry...unless Delia was there.
Favorite Quote: “Your present circumstances don’t determine where you can go; they merely determine where you start.” - Nido Qubein
Favorite Song: My Songs Know What You Did in the Dark- Fall Out Boy

Mike:
28 years old
Family is from Sunny Shores, but he spent most of his youth in Southern California.
Is proud of his surf shack, even if he barely makes it by. He hopes to one day be able to teach the next National Surfing Champion.
Likes: The smell of suntan lotion, motorcycles, Adam Lambert’s music, and playing detective (even better if he gets to wear the trench coat!)
Dislikes: Scam artists, video games (what a waste of energy!), fast food, cheap shoppers, and winter (no surfing!)
Favorite Quote: “Believe you can and you’re halfway there.” - Theodore Roosevelt
Favorite Song: Adam Lambert’s Strut

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

By Missy:

As Delia pushed open the doors she was met by a heady mix of emotions consisting of fear and freedom. She had spent the last ten years locked up in the Sunny Shores Rehabilitation Center after being labeled a Pyromaniac and accused of setting the fire that killed her parents. The nightmares and panic attacks were still coming and she was trying to make sense of them and trying to get them under control. Now she had nobody and nowhere to go, she was given a small stipend and a prescription of medications to last a short while but that is it. She would have to figure out what to do next. She boarded the shuttle bus from the center and was going to be dropped off at the local bus station which wasn't to far away. Once there she wanted to sit and think about what she needed to do but there was a couple of people sitting on the bench, as she walked up and made eye contact with the girl, she took off like a shot so Delia sat down hoping the young man who was still sitting there would do the same.  But after a few minutes he hadn't made a move to leave, he just sat there reading his book. She kept looking him over, he was dressed in black jeans & a t-shirt and there were a couple of tattoos sticking out reminding her of a typical bad boy. After a few minutes he looked up at her and spoke to her saying "Careful, it's to soon to fall for me". That  was going to be the beginning of a on and off again very sexually and electrically charged friendship. The town shunned her and refused to even allow her to eat in their local McDonalds. Her first night out she hadn't found any help so she huddled under the pier on the beach where she had always felt at home. Then she heard someone coming so she tried to huddle into a smaller ball afraid it was the police but then she thought she heard a familiar voice. She was scared so she took off running until she twisted her ankle and fell.  Then she realized it was him, Liam, the boy from earlier. He asked her why she ran and told her it was to dangerous for her to be out there all night and that he had followed her because he thought he had seen her go under the pier. He helped her to his car and told her he had a couch and that she could stay there until she got on her feet. She didn't have any other options at that point so she agreed to go to his house. The next day she went to buy a bathing suit to go swimming in the ocean because she had always loved it as a child. When she got to the surf shop and went inside this really scurvy guy gave her a hard time and the shop owner fired the man and he sold her the bathing suit with a huge discount which ended up making it free. She was not shunned there for the past so she ended up working there and became good friends with the owner Mike. Then along came Governor Willis into her life and he started making comments about her and  her parents  about different things which made her very uncomfortable. Something wasn't adding up with him and she was going to get to the bottom of it and that she did !!


I enjoyed this book quite a bit,its short,  it flowed smoothly right along and I didn't want to stop reading, I do wish it would have gone on and I was bummed at first by the ending BUT then I read the editors note about the ending & it made sense to me why she did it the way she did & I loved it. It showed there are people who will stand up for others without  judgement. This book was awesome !!! I'd definitely give it a 5 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ruthi Kight currently lives in her hometown of Columbia, SC, with her fiancé and five year old daughter. She has an unhealthy addiction to books, music, and chocolate, but not necessarily in that order. When her dream of being a rock star didn't work out, she focused on her other passion: writing. She is the author of Knotted Roots, a YA Coming of Age story, and is currently working on two other novels that are due out this year



Goodreads- 
Amazon- 
Facebook: 
Blog: 
Twitter: 
Goodreads: 
Amazon Author Page: 
Facebook Events-
Tour-



No comments:

Post a Comment