Monday, January 2, 2017

The Marriage Bureau Review...


In the spring of 1939, with the Second World War looming, two determined twenty-four-year-olds, Heather Jenner and Mary Oliver, decided to open a marriage bureau. They found a tiny office on London's Bond Street and set about the delicate business of match-making. Drawing on the bureau's extensive archives, Penrose Halson - who many years later found herself the proprietor of the bureau - tells their story, and those of their clients. We meet a remarkable cross-section of British society in the 1940s: gents with a 'merry twinkle', potential fifth-columnists, nervous spinsters, isolated farmers seeking 'a nice quiet affekshunate girl' and girls looking 'exactly' like Greta Garbo and Vivien Leigh, all desperately longing to find 'The One'. And thanks to Heather and Mary, they almost always did just that.
A riveting glimpse of life and love during and after the war, Marriages Are Made in Bond Street is a heart-warming, touching and thoroughly absorbing account of a world gone by.
~~~~****~~~~****~~~~
REVIEW!!!!

I felt very conflicted about this book.  I thought it was a non-fiction book but I’m pretty sure it is a work of Fiction.  I felt that the pace was really slow and it was hard to follow.  However, the general plot line of this book was excellent.  I also enjoyed the characters.  I felt drawn to both Heather and Mary as characters.  The flow did not work well at all and the pace went way too slow.  I also felt that it was a very repetitive book to say the least. 
So in general I think I would have to give this book a 3 star rating.  It wasn’t as good as I was expecting but it also wasn’t great in my book.  I usually don’t have to struggle with a historical fiction book but I did with this one.
3 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment