Wednesday, November 20, 2013

99 Days of Laney MacGuire Review...


Title: 99 Days of Laney MacGuire
Author: Rachel Bateman
Publication DateNovember 14, 2013

Summary:
Laney can’t wait to spend the summer at her father’s lake resort. It’s a place where time stands still and nothing ever changes – the perfect thing for Laney after the year she just had. But when she gets there, she discovers the lodge isn’t quite as unchanging as she once thought.

Some of the differences are good, like Rory’s new look; some are bad, like whatever secret Karissa is keeping. And then some things are just confusing, like Weston.

Weston, her mysterious new co-worker, who is the cause of so many of the changes Laney hates. She wants to despise him, but she can’t deny the attraction she feels, nor the desire she has to be around the one person who didn’t know her before the summer - the one person she doesn’t have to pretend for.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I don't have to listen to music while I write - I can write just fine in silence, or with the TV in the background, or with my toddler crawling up my back. But, even though I don't need it, music brings something special to a story. For me, memories and emotions are more strongly tied to music that anything else. 

Because of that, my playlist for 99 DAYS OF LANEY MACGUIRE is a bit different from my other projects. It's not about the feel or mood or tone of the book. It's not about songs that seem to fit characters' personalities and lives. It's not songs that deal with the subject matter.

When I first started writing this book, it was way different from what it is now. It all came from a Saturday afternoon remembering our family trip to Seeley Lake one summer...the summer of 1997. So these songs are all ones that remind me of that time and help transport me back to the Summer of '97.

99 DAYS OF LANEY MACGUIRE PLAYLIST:

1. F'd Up Girl, The Vandals
2. Gypsies, Tramps & Thieves, Cher
3. My Girlfriend's Dead, The Vandals
4. Knock Three Times, Dawn
5. Kiss Me, Sixpence None The Richer
6. A Change Would Do You Good, Sheryl Crow
7. Fly, Sugar Ray
8. Shoop, Salt-N-Peppa
9. Bitch, Meredith Brooks
10. You Were Meant For Me, Jewel
11. Sunny Came Home, Shawn Colvin
12. Where Have All the Cowboys Gone?, Paula Cole
13. The Freshmen, The Verve Pipe
14. Waterfalls, TLC
15. Crash Into Me, Dave Matthews Band

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Reviewed by Kayla:

 I liked this book. I thought it was interesting and fun! Laney is a good character and has a great personality. I felt like I could connect with her. Weston was just wonderful! I loved his character. He was the new guy on the job but boy was he a good one! Laney feels an attraction to Weston but she tries hard to deny it. She doesn’t have to pretend with him. She likes that. I was envious that Laney had a father who had a summer lake resort. I think it would be cool to be able to have a family business like that. This book was good. I give it 4 out of 5 stars!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

About Rachel:
Rachel Bateman is a writer and editor who spends too much time thinking she can out-bake the Cake Boss. (Spoiler: she can't.) She lives in The Middle of Nowhere, Wyoming, but dreams of living by the ocean. When not writing, editing, or reading books, she can be found playing with her husband, young son, and herd of alpacas.

99 Days of Laney MacGuire is her first novel.






No comments:

Post a Comment