Saturday, April 25, 2020

When Calls the Heart Review...


Nothing in her cultured East Coast upbringing prepared Elizabeth for a teaching position on the Canadian frontier. Yet, despite the constant hardships, she loves the children in her care. Determined to do the best job she can and fighting to survive the harsh land, Elizabeth is surprised to find her heart softening towards a certain member of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police. Book 1 of the bestselling Canadian West series.

~~~***~~~***~~~ REVIEW ~~~***~~~***~~~

I went into this book thinking it would match up with the show like the Love Comes Softly saga did.  I was kind of let down by this book.  I enjoyed the story but wasn't thrilled that it was so different from the show.  

Elizabeth was raised in the upper class of the East Coast but when her older brother mentions a teaching position in Calgary.  She hasn't seen her brother in forever but thinking she would get a post in town with her brother she goes.  After meeting the man in charge of posting her at a school things go sideways.  She is posted to a school quite far from her brother.  Once in the town she is meant to teach in things seem to go swimmingly with just a few issues.  Can she survive the teaching year while following all the rules set in place?  Will she make friends with the people?  Will she find love?  Will she find family?

So I love Janette Oke's writing and after reading the entire Love Comes Softly series I decided to start in on this series.  The writing is well done and the story is great.  I look forward to reading the rest of the series.  I just wish I had read the books before watching the show so I didn't feel as let down by the book.  If you love period christian romance books I would definitely recommend Janette Oke's books.

4 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment