Saturday, November 2, 2013

Vesik Series Reviews...


Title-Days Gone Bad
Series- Vesik # 1
By Eric R. Asher
Genre- Urban Fantasy


My name is Damian Valdis Vesik. I am a necromancer, an ability feared and hated as much as the powers my master and I set ourselves against. We've vanquished many evils, but now something is releasing an old darkness, forcing us to hunt an enemy beyond anything I’ve faced before. I was already busy enough with vampires, fairies, witches, Watchers, weddings, and … damn, I need a vacation.


I was standing outside the birdcage in the dead of night with a tiny ghost holding my hand and a seven-foot fairy watching our backs. I closed my eyes and focused, gathering up a glowing ball of fae before sending it out in a pulse of power across the park. It wasn’t aimed at just any dead; it was aimed at attracting the attention of one particular ghost. It didn’t take long.

The little girl at my side squealed as Happy came bounding through the bars of the birdcage, much to the chagrin of the scattering birds.

Happy pulled up about six inches in front of us. I held up another ball of energy and the spirit quaffed it down before I started scratching his ears. “Hey buddy, still terrorizing the birds, huh?” He leaned into the ear scratching and grunted.

“That is so wrong,” Foster said.


I turned to the little girl. She clung tightly to the back of my leg. Happy pushed his head between my legs and I heard another squeal. So, there I was, with a fairy laughing at me, a ghost panda between my legs, and a little girl unwilling to relinquish her death grip on me while she tried to get away from Happy.


Music played a role in my life long before I realized it. I went through my school career in orchestra, was raised playing the cello. I eventually picked up a guitar, wrote some songs, and joined a band. After that didn’t work out so well, I settled down into writing. These are some of the songs that helped me hammer out the first draft of Days Gone Bad.

Open Hand – Her Song
Open Hand – You and Me
My Chemical Romance – The Ghost of You
My Chemical Romance – Cemetery Drive
Brand New – Luca
Paramore – Misery Business
Evanescence – Tourniquet
Murder By Death – One More Notch
Senses Fail – Rum is for Drinking, Not for Burning

J.S. Bach – The Cello Suites (performed by Yo-Yo Ma)


Interesting book!  I got a little bit of everything in this book ancient gods,  necromancers, fae, vampires, zombies, demon dogs and so much more.  There were a lot of names to remember and keep straight with the right people.  But all in all there were a lot of awesome action scenes and a few cutesy scenes as well.  The idea is a sound and good one but there was something that bugged me the whole book I'm just not sure what it was.  I love Zola's character, between her and Cara I don't know which is my favorite.  Zola has an ancient accent and instead of saying 'I' she says 'Ah' which was hard to get used to but she totally made the story worth it.  Also the cu sith sound so cute and if they were real I would totally own one!

All in all I give this book a 4 out of 5 stars and I can't wait to start the second book!




~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Title-Wolves and the River of Stone
Series-Vesik # 2
By- Eric R. Asher
Publication Date- October 22nd, 2013
Genre- Urban Fantasy


Philip, Zola’s boyfriend from one hundred and fifty years ago, is not nearly as dead as we thought. I really wish he was. Not only has he kidnapped Zola, but he’s raising an army to scour humanity from the earth. Hopefully the local werewolf pack will help. What could possibly go wrong?


Edgar’s face soured and he turned away from Zola. He looked nauseous. “Someone has to be held responsible for this mess. I’d rather prefer it be Vesik.”

“What?” I said. “What’d I ever do to you?”

Edgar leveled a glare at me.

“Ah, fair enough,” I said.

“Edgar, Ah don’t have time for this right now.” Zola gently pushed him aside with her scorched cane. Zola bent down and started digging beside the vampires and Hugh. Vik handed her a spade and she nodded her thanks.

“You may cite me if you wish,” Hugh said. He didn’t look up from the furrow he was digging in the dirt. “I have no issues with the Watchers’ duty.”

“That is kind, wolf,” Zola said. She glanced at Edgar. “Ah think we should play a game, Edgar. If you can spell this wolf’s name, you can issue him a citation.

Edgar blew out a breath. “You haven’t changed a bit, Adannaya.” He actually cracked a tiny smile and I thought my world was ending. “What is your name, wolf?”

“Hohnihohkaiyohos,” Hugh said.

Edgar glared at Zola for almost a minute. His mouth was open and his eyebrows were raised. I was waiting for him to break down crying or laughing. Instead he just shook his head.

“You get used to it Eddie,” I said as Foster snickered.


Absolutely! Music has always been a large part of my life. I grew up in orchestra, playing the cello. I’ll list out some of the band and album names, and then the tracks I particularly listened to while writing. There were several more, but I’ll keep the list at a reasonable length. :)

My Chemical Romance - The Black Parade
-The Sharpest Lives
-Famous Last Words

Matt & Kim - Grand
-Good Ol’ Fashion Nightmare
-I’ll Take Us Home
-Daylight

Senses Fail - Still Searching
-The Rapture
-Negative Space
-The Priest and the Matador

AFI - Decemberunderground
-Miss Murder
-Kiss and Control
-The Killing Lights

Mazzy Star - So Tonight That I Might See
-Fade Into You
-Into Dust

J.S. Bach – The Cello Suites (performed by Yo-Yo Ma)


While I loved the first book I wasn't as thrilled with book two.  We were introduced to the werewolves and other creatures in this book.  This book just went too slow for me.  I did finish it in a night  but I struggled through it because it just didn't keep my attention.  I would still recommend it to others because the plot and writing was well done.

I give this book a 4 out of 5 stars as well.



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Eric is a former bookseller, guitarist, and comic seller currently living in Saint Louis, Missouri. A lifelong enthusiast of books, music, toys, and games, he discovered a love for the written word after being dragged to the library by his parents at a young age. When he is not writing, you can usually find him reading, gaming, or buried beneath a small avalanche of Transformers.






No comments:

Post a Comment